How long has the Summer School been running?
- Established by Prof. F.L. Bauer of the Technical University of Munich
- Modelled on the academies of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation
- 1984 - 1994: Director is Prof. F.L. Bauer of the TU Munich
- 1985: Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg becomes the second host institution
- 1995 - 2004: Director is Prof. C. Zenger of the TU Munich
- 2002: University of Stuttgart becomes the third host institution
- 2005 - present: Director is Prof. H.-J. Bungartz of the TU Munich
- 2009: Summer School marks its 25th anniversary
- 2014: Summer School marks its 30th anniversary
Who pays for the Summer School?
- Interested companies can support the Summer School through donations
- The Summer School receives financial backing from the student support associations of the three host universities
- The Summer School is also part-funded out of the three host universities‘ own resources
When and where does the Summer School take place?
- The Summer School traditionally takes place during the last two weeks of September
- It is held at five hotels in the beautiful Sarntal valley in the South Tyrol
What kind of courses does the Summer School offer?
- There are typically between nine and twelve courses on offer each year
- Each course is normally taught by two professors from different universities, and often one or two guest tutors as well
- There are around 15 student places available on each course
- Occasionally there are also courses available for PhD students
- Disciplines covered include:
- Electrical and computer engineering, biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, mathematics, medicine, philosophy and physics
- The courses often adopt a highly interdisciplinary approach
How much does it cost to attend the Summer School?
- The Summer School itself is free of charge for participants
- Full board and lodging and bus transfers are provided
- However, on the excursion to Bolzano, for example, students may wish to visit restaurants and museums at their own expense